NYC has long been recognized worldwide for some of the most interesting and jaw dropping holiday window installations.
Its no wonder that the visual and creative teams at these NYC department stores spend all year developing the final creations!
The article below briefly recaps last years windows but also advises when each store unveils their works of art!
Get your walking shoes ready for the tour of your life!
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
Holiday Windows at New York City Department Stores Don’t miss out on the beautiful holiday displays around New York City
(By Heather Cross)
Window shopping is an amazing experience in December, when Manhattan’s biggest department stores reveal their holiday window displays. Checking out some holiday windows is a must-do during your holiday season visit to New York City.
Holiday Windows Walking Tour Map
1. Bergdorf Goodman Windows World of Animals Holiday Window Decorations at Bergdorf GoodmanPhoto by Heather Cross, licensed to About.com The holiday window displays at Bergdorf Goodman are typically unveiled in mid-November and reflect the sophisticated signature design of Bergdorf Goodman. These windows feature not only high-fashion, but also authentic antiques and are probably my favorite holiday windows in New York City.
2. Lord & Taylor Holiday Window Displays What Is Christmas Made Of? Every year Lord & Taylor features classic holiday window displays along Fifth Avenue. Lord & Taylor Window Displays are typically unveiled in late November, featuring imagery and mechanical movements that make them both traditional and very enjoyable for families.
3. Barneys New York Windows Blow-up of Barneys New York’s Holiday Shopping Bag Featuring Customized VW New Beetle, Earth PledgeJenny Ross / Barneys New York If you’re shopping on Madison Avenue, Barneys New York’s holiday windows are a must-see. Every year they are hip and stylish, with a nice dose of humor.
4. Bloomingdales Windows Bloomingdale’s Bloomingdale’s holiday window displays are playful and family-friendly and typically unveiled in late November/early December.
5. Macy’s Windows Make A Wish Window at Macy’s Herald Macy’s holiday window decorations are typically unveiled in early November. Each year Macy’s has windows depicting scenes from Miracle on 34th Street and a second set of windows with a changing holiday theme.
6. The Saks Fifth Avenue holiday window displays are unveiled in late November and are a great choice for visitors with children, because they are often designed around a seasonal book for children, and feature playful animations. Saks Fifth Avenue’s windows are also conveniently located across from the Rockefeller Center promenade.
== == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == == ==
|Christmas Windows Walking Tour Map|
|This map makes it easy to see the Christmas window displays at many of New York City’s stores.|
Use this Christmas Windows walking tour map to see the holiday window displays at New York City’s biggest department stores. This walking tour covers approximately 2 miles and should take about an hour and a half, depending upon your pacing, but not including shopping time. For the best experience, I recommend you wear warm clothes, comfortable shoes, and keep an eye on your belongings, as the area around the various window displays can be crowded.